Handling Empty Data Points

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:32 PM

I have a list with 4 columns; month, planned cumlative amount, actual cumlative amount, and estimated remaining amount.  The planned column had values for every month.  The actual column has values for past months.  the remaining column has values for future months.  I created a line chart for the list but it shows the line for every month for every column, with a default value of 0 when data doesn't exist.  I want the lines to show only for months for which data exists, so that the actual line stops at the last month for which data is entered, and the remaining line starts when it first has data.  Any ideas if this can be done?

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Howdy,

have you tried changing the setting of "Treat as zero"?

/WW

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Where is that setting hiding?  I don't seem to see it in the Modify Web Part dialogs.  thanks

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Are you using version 2.0? Then you will find it under Advanced Chart Settings when you edit the ChartPart properties.

/WW

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I am using version 2.0.  After adding the web part to a page and clicking the "modify Shared web part" when I look under Advanced Chart Setting I do not see a "Treat as zero" setting in the Appearance, Layout, or Advanced sections.  I'd send  you a screen shot but that doesn't seem possible in this editor.  Any ideas?

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Hi,

if you click on "Advanced Chart Settings" a new panel will expand containing this property.

/WW

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:49 AM
Edited Nov 10, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Hi there. I thought I'd jump in on this thread because I have the same issue. Here is my chart;

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5779/graphgs.jpg

Whatever I do, I can't get the chart to not display the zero values. I have found the "Treat as zero" setting, but it doesn't appear to affect the chart, whether I select Yes or No.

My list of data has a column for month, 2008 and 2009. I selected 2008 and 2009 for my X-series, and Month for the Y-series column.

PS. Thanks for an outstanding web part!

Ninja edit: I have 2009 readings only until Aug. The rest of the data is "null".

Nov 11, 2009 at 2:32 AM

I ended up using spchart webpart http://www.spelements.com/spchart/ as I didn't have time to dig in and develop my own web part.  it doesn't show points that are null.